If you’re under 13, it’s past your bedtime.
Seriously, kid, get outta here.
“My name is Wil Wheaton, and Jack Thompson can suck my balls.”
– from the start of his keynote speech (download MP3)
“Any corporate lawyers here can suck it.”
– a non-profit lawyer, before asking her question
“How firm do you like your tip?”
– Tycho, sleazing up Gabe’s answer to an innocent Photoshop question
“Well, there’s no barrier to entry…”
– Gabe, sleazing up his own answer to an innocent art student question
– Tycho & Gabe, having a Kevin Smith moment with the sign language interpreter
One of my favorite things about Penny Arcade is that they don’t just use profanity; they are gleefully profane. They celebrate the myriad ways in which language can be made more colorful through the use of metaphor, analogy, or nearly musical sequences of primal vocalizations.
It’s not cursing just for the sake of cursing–Tycho, the writer, uses all sorts of words to achieve his desired effect, and the juxtaposition of ten dollar words with drunken-sailor-speak only emphasizes the importance of his choices.
Is a game bad?
Is it shit (but not “the shit”)?
Is it shitty?
Is it so godawful that it ruptures the very fabric of space and time with the sheer overpowering force of its mediocrity?
These, dear reader, are important distinctions.